Lost and Regret
by Penelope Anderson
(Norwood, MA USA)
My husband and I inherited a home from his parents. I was married in the back yard and all my children were born in that home. I considered this my dream home and it had plenty of space for all of us.
Our attic was filled with antiques and keepsakes from his family. When we moved we renovated some of the old house but kept many of the things to help us feel connected to what once was. All my children’s baby cloths, my wedding dress (which was my mother’s) and other important items were stored in the house.
A great aunt of my husband died and we received most of what she had owned. Our house was filled with memories of family.
One night I awoke to the smell of smoke. I got my husband up we ran out of the bedroom. We managed to get all of our children out of the house.
The whole house was engulfed in flames. I was in a total state of shock as I watched everything we had burn to the ground. The fire station arrived, but here was not much left we could salvage.
We had just started discussing prior to this devastating fire getting a type of insurance on some of the belongings especially since we had inherited all the extra furniture and jewelry. We had not taken a home inventory nor had homeowners insurance since we didn’t have a mortgage.
We were devastated and will never recover many of the things that meant the most.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Disaster story.
Return to the Home Page